Today I want to talk about the best robot kits for adults. I bet you have heard about best humanoid robots used for various researches and space exploration, education and healthcare, production and entertainment, delivery services and maintenance.
And you have probably read about unmanned vehicles or carts used to deliver meals for doctors and patients, transport medical suppliers in the hospitals to help with COVID-19 emergency situation.
Don’t get me wrong, this review is not about famous humanoid robots like Sophia, Avatar, Bartender and others. But if you are looking for robot kits for adults, you are in the right place. In that regard, following the logic, you either show an interest in robots and robotics and have some basic skills, or you are an advanced robots’ enthusiast with significant knowledge and experience.
Anyway, here you will find useful information about different types of robot kits for adults, available in the modern market.
What is Robotics?
You probably know that robotics is not a separate science; it is a special, so called interdisciplinary field that integrates engineering, computer science and technology involved in robot’s production. In other words, robotics includes design, construction, operation, and use of robots to substitute some human activities.
Best Robot Kits for Adults – Buyer’s Guide
What to consider when buying a robot kit for adults?
- The key factor should be your skills level.
1.1 If you are a newbie in programming and robots’ building, you’d better start with beginners’ kits. And belie me, it doesn’t really matter, if these kits are for kids or adults. In case you have never done it before and don’t have any help, it would be better to go for the simplest stuff and try to get a general idea of building and programming. So, your future kit should meet the following requirements:
- totally assembled beginner kit;
- complete package: no extra tools required;
- no soldering (if you don’t have any soldering experience).
1.2 Users with intermediate and advanced skills should go for more sophisticated programmable robots with real hardware.
- Consider your personal interests or, if you are buying a kit for someone else, the interest of this person. Not all people love building a robot or inventing other stuff. They might prefer programming. In such a case it’s better to buy fully assembled, so called plug-and-play kits, and enjoy programming.
- You should check components included in the kit. There are less expensive and more affordable kits, but it might happen that you still need to buy some extra stuff, and eventually end up paying more.
- Try to find a kit with a microcontroller that can work with different programming languages (for instance, MPLAP, ROBOTC, easyC).
- There are some important features you should look for, for example, remote control, interactivity, mobility and power supply.
Remote control: Look for robots with remote control: they are fun and far more to challenging to build.
Interactivity: Robot is one of the best interactive tool one can think of. Depending on your skills and kit’s level, you could program your robot to recognize basic words and phrases, learn preset commands, etc.
Mobility: It’s always more fun when a robot has a certain degree of mobility or even able to move around on wheels.
Power supply: Try to find kits with in-built power supply, it’s more convenient and easier to use.
TOP 7 Robotics Kits for Adults in June, 2023 Review
Below is my top of the best robot kits for adults.
|ArcBotics Sparki Robot|
|OSOYOO 2WD Balance Car Robot|
|Lego Mindstorms EV3 31313 Robot Kit|
|Lucky Doug Solar Robot Kit|
|Hexbug Vex Robotics Pick|
|SunFounder Robotics Kit for Arduino|
|Robot arm 6DOF Full Metal|
ArcBotics Sparki Robot – Best robot starter kit for adults
According to the manufacturer’s recommendations, the kit is aimed for the kids. Well, I totally agree, but if you are an absolute newbie to programming and electronics, go for this kit and you won’t regret a minute. It’s indeed one of the best robot starter kits for adults.
Sparki comes with board, sensors, servos, and display. Basically, it comes preassembled, and totally ready to go out of the box. The first thing you need to do is to insert AA batteries, the second – to program it. And here the possibilities are unlimited. You can program it to detect magnets, edges, and distances; play music, display LCD graphics, navigate rooms, talk to Bluetooth, grab objects, and much more. But of course, if you have never ever been involved with programming yet, it’s better to start with simple things. Let’s say, you can easy program Sparki to move forward and backwards, and then go on with more complicated stuff.
Tip: I would like to direct your attention to ArcBotics website. All the programming lessons are really helpful and easy to follow.
No soldering required! It means that you don’t need any extra soldering tools and don’t have to bother with soldering.
Note: Try to forget that this kit is aimed for kids. It’s a complete package and a perfect starter kit for a beginner doesn’t matter how old he/she is. I would highly recommend it!
- Great educational tool
- Easy way to learn programming
- No assembly required
- Solidly built
- Remote control included
- Bluetooth module included
- 100+ web-based lessons on the ArcBotics website
- Infinite programming possibilities
- No soldering
OSOYOO RC Two Wheel Self Balancing Robot Car Kit – Best Arduino Robot kit for Adults, DIY Educational Programmable Starter Kit for Arduino Board
Among programmable robot kits for adults I recommend OSOYOO RC Car Kit as it will allow you to build, program and control Arduino based, two-wheeled, self-balancing robot car. You will learn how to use Bluetooth module, Arduino, motor drivers, MPU 6050 accelerometer, and more. It’s really a fun toy with a strong load balancing capacity (up to 4 lb load can be balanced). It comes fully assembled, you need to insert the batteries and program it.
As the balancing kit features a Bluetooth module, you can use Android smart phone for communication and control all the movements of the vehicle by Bluetooth.
This high-quality kit features solid aluminum allow chassis (they are very difficult to damage or deform).
Note: The kit doesn’t come with a manual. In order to make the car function, you should download a program to the Arduino board. You will find all the programs and libraries in the Osoyoo website.
- High-quality, solid hardware
- High-power motor with excellent horsepower performance
- Remote control
- Two 65mm 18650 rechargeable batteries included
- Strong load balancing capacity
- Bluetooth module can only be connected to Android, not iPhone
- 3x18650 lithium batteries required
LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 31313 Robot Kit – Educational STEM Toy for Programming and Learning How to Code
Using Lego elements, motors and different type of sensors (tough, color, infrared, and remote infrared beacon) you can add movement; and the software will help to bring your robot to life.
All the necessary instructions you can find in the User’s Guide and Installation Manual. Both of them are available in the LEGO website. You will learn about hardware included in the kit, how to install the software and to program various robot types with different kinds of behavior.
- 601 various elements included
- Compatible with all LEGO constructions
- Possibility to make 17 different robotic designs
- Clear and easy-to-follow instructions
- Price, might seem too expensive, but it’s a great investment in STEM education
Lucky Doug Solar Robot Kit 12-in-1 Science STEM Robot Kit – Best Solar Robot kit for adults
If you are looking for an environment-friendly solar powered robot kit, I would highly recommend to go for this one. The kit comes with 190 items which have to be assembled. This kit is for those who has real patience, creativity, and ability to pay attention to every tiny detail in order to put all the parts together and build more than 12 different styles robots.
Under the direct sun the robot is supposed to float, roll and crawl.
Tip: You may also have a look at the following kits. I’m sure none of them will be a waste of your time.
- Elenco Teach Tech SolarBot.14, Transforming Solar Robot Kit, STEM Learning Toys for Kids 10+
- STEM Toys 7-in-1 Solar Robot Kits Space Toys DIY Building Set Science Experiment Kit for Kids Learning & Education Toys (200 Pieces)
- Environment-friendly power source – solar battery
- Possibility to build more than 12 robots
- Easy to assemble with clear instructions
- Made from skin-safe, non-toxic ABS plastic
- Durable parts
- Some customers mentioned that some of the plastic parts were not precisely cut, therefore, it was difficult to put the pieces together.
HEXBUG VEX Robotics Pick and Drop Machine – DIY mechanical robot kit for adults
If you don’t want to be involved in programming, go for this Pick and Drop Machine. It doesn’t need a motor, it’s a mechanical one. In order to make it work, you need to spin the crank. This movement activates three sophisticated grabber hands that go down and pick the balls. You continue spinning the crank, and the hands lift the balls to the top. After that it automatically releases the balls and one after another they fall into the ramp.
The kit comes with over 400 VEX Robotics, precision made pieces. You can build two different tools.
Note: The kit doesn’t include instructions; it should be downloaded from the manufacturer’s site.
Tip: Of course, you can add a motor and program it.
- Clear, detailed and easy to follow instructions
- High-quality, easy to clip together pieces
- Solid and sturdy machine once assembled
- Compatible with VEX IQ pieces
- Battery is not included
- Lots of small pieces
WHDTS Practice Soldering Learning Electronics Kit, Smart Car Soldering Project Kits, Line Following Robot, DIY – Best soldering robot kit
Tip: Tools and materials needed to build this project. Make sure you have a soldering iron before you start with the project. You don’t need a fancy one for this kit, just a basic, good-quality soldering iron would be enough. You would also a solder wire, scissors, and tweezers. Optional: you might need a multimeter to measure resistors.
Note: In order to download PDF manual, scan a QR code in the last picture of paper instruction included in the package.
- Paper instruction with QR code is included
- Easy to assemble and test
- Fun and educating project for beginners
- Good value for money
- Well-designed circuit board
- Good kit for improving soldering skills
- Battery is required
- There are some complaints from customers: they got kits with either broken or missing parts.
SunFounder Robotics Kit for Arduino, 4-DOF Dancing Sloth Programmable – DIY Robot Kit for Adults with Tutorial
If you want to start with a simple robotic kit, this is the one. This cute, high quality Sloth robot can be programmed to walk, dance and change its gestures. And you have a chance to learn coding much faster and easier than with visual programming language software, or coding for Arduino.
Yes, this robot looks like a funny toy, however, it should be considered as a new generation educational gadget coming with high performance, good quality 9G servo motors. Moreover, it has ultrasonic “eyes” which help it to avoid obstacles.
The kit includes everything what is needed for building this robot. Step-by-step instruction is also part of the kit. You will learn how to assemble the mechanical parts and electrical modules: head of the robot, its electrical modules, all servos, battery and feet. All the information related to ultrasonic connection, servo calibration and run tests, and more is also provided in the manual. In case you would need more advice related to the assembly and programming of the gadget, you can always refer to the manufacturer’s website for further information and/or instructions.
I highly recommend this kit for robotics’ beginners as it’s a practical development kit for Arduino.
- Cute design
- High quality 9G servo motors
- Easy to follow detailed manual
- Easy to assemble and code
- Good value for money
- Some of the users found the downloading instructions too complicated.
Robot arm 6DOF Full Metal Programmable Robotic Arm with Feedback of Servo Parameter
This kit comes with Intelligent serial bus servo LX-15D and bus servo controller, metal bracket, metal rotation station, and machine claw. Once assembled, this robotic arm could be programmed in various styles. It supports computer programming and mobile phone programming. Moreover, the arm supports manually positioned programming. It means that you can position the arm manually and memorize those positions for recall. I would like to emphasize that this robotic arm features innovative control methods: it supports not only wireless handle and computer control, mobile phone, but also wireless/wired mouse control.
Robotic controller comes with arm core CPU, built-in Bluetooth module and 16M memory.
Driving source of the robotic arm is the intelligent serial bus servo LX-15D. It features full metal gear, high-precision potentiometer, large torque. It can also support read angle, feedback of the temperature, voltage. If the servo is out of order, the LED indicator starts blinking.
This robotic arm uses vacuum cup, which can firmly fix it to the surface.
I would highly recommend it to those who makes their first steps in robotic building and programming.
- Full metal gear
- Possibility to set the rotation speed if the servo
- Possibility to write action group
- Easy and simple operation
- Great interface
- Support Android/iOS operation system
- Suction cup design preventing the arm from slipping
- Easy assembly instructions
1) Do all robotic kits have in-built batteries?
No, they don’t. Some of them come with removable batteries. That’s why it’s important to check the type of power supply. And from my personal experience I can tell you that in-built batteries are more convenient.
2) Is it possible to get replacement parts for a kit?
It depends on type of the kit, part you want to replace, customer service, etc. In a particular case you’d better write an email to the manufacturer and find the answers to the questions you want to ask.
3) What is VEX robotics?
VEX IQ is robotics system using plastic pieces that snap together with a help of pegs.
4) Can a robotic kit be a gift for a young woman interested in programming?
Of course, it can be a perfect gift, especially LEGO one! If the woman is mechanically minded, she would love it.
5) How long does it take to build an average robot?
It’s difficult to answer. But it would take 4-5 hours plus as minimum, depends on your experience.
Basically, all these robots mentioned above, are educational toys. You won’t be able to build any practical and useful robot that will clean your house or cook you breakfast or bring you a book to read. That’s not really a point.
The purpose of these kits is an enormous amount of educational value that they provide still being a lot of fun.
When you build a robot, doesn’t matter how old you are, you learn a lot about mechanical engineering and programming.
There’s so much to learn! And… if you are really serious about it, it might be a gateway to drones and unmanned aerial vehicles and professional robot building!
Leave a Reply